Position Title / Senior Educator -Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation
Position No / 17022
Faculty/Centre / Faculty of Education, Services Skills and Environment
Classification / Senior Educator 1 to Senior Educator 2 (SE1.0 to SE2.0)
SalaryRange / $84,050 p.a. to $86,613 p.a. pro-rata
Prepared By / Head of Department, Tourism, Recreation and Complementary Health
Date / October 2012
Reference No / 3888930013
Approved By / Associate Director, Human Resources
Primary Objectives of Position / 1.Coordinates the delivery, development, resource organisation and student administration required for the effective delivery of the Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation courses offered by the Department.
2.Responsible for providing leadership through giving support and direction to staff involved in teaching of the department courses.
3.Assists the Head of Department, Tourism Recreation and Complementary Health Programs with course administration.
4.Teach within the programs as required.
Manager/Supervisor / Head of Department, Tourism, Recreation and Complementary Health Programs
Role of Position / Senior Educator
Role Of Subordinates (Where Applicable) / The Senior Educator is responsible for ensuring that department teaching staff fulfils their duties in the day-to-day delivery of courses.
Internal Communication Requirements /
- Liaise and assist the Head of Department, Tourism, Recreation and Complementary Health Programs.
- Liaise with other departments servicing the Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation programs.
- Liaise with administrative departments.
External Communication Requirements /
- Represent the Institute on Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation course advisory committees.
- Foster and maintain links with other TAFE Institutes to maintain consistency of delivery.
- Liaise with Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation industry representatives and potential employers.
- Liaise with industry regulatory / accreditation bodies
Specific Accountabilities /
- The Senior Educator, under the direction of the Head of Department, coordinates, develops and provides leadership in the Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation programs.
- The Senior Educator is assigned teaching duties as required.
- The Senior Educator under the direction of the Head of Department:
-Develops and implements strategies for improving the delivery of the programs.
-Administers and implements the teaching timetables.
-Undertakes industry and community liaison.
-Ensures general administration duties within the area are undertaken in a timely manner in accordance with the requirements of the Holmesglen Management system.
-Provides advice to students regarding any concerns or issues that may inhibit their learning.
-Designs and implements teacher work plans.
-Assists the Head of Department, in finding, selecting and inducting suitable specialist teaching staff for these courses.
-Ensures the processing of applications and student selection for both VTAC and direct applications is carried out efficiently.
-Ensures that Holmesglen Management procedures are followed in all aspects of the administration and delivery of courses.
-Ensures that Teaching staff are able to provide students with advice on subject selection, RPL, credit transfers, timetables, amendments to enrolments, etc.
-Ensures the correct and timely input of assessments by all teaching staff.
-Advises the Head of Department, Tourism Recreation and Complementary Health Programs on the physical resource requirements and budget implications of programs.
-Resolves student queries and complaints that can be resolved without the direct involvement of Head of Department, Tourism Recreation and Complementary Health Programs.
-Represents the Institute on course advisory / network meetings.
Qualifications / Minimum
- Approved post Year 12 Advanced Diploma in a Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation discipline or related qualification.
- CertificatelV in Training and Assessment or equivalent.
- A course of teacher training accredited at Australian Qualification Framework Level 5 or above.
- Approved post Year 12 Degree in aSport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation discipline or related qualification or equivalent.
- A thorough knowledge of the national Training Package and associated packages.
- Extensive knowledge within the Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation industries.
- Teaching experience.
- Experience as a course coordinator is desirable.
- Experience in timetabling of curriculum and teaching staff is desirable.
- An understanding of resource management issues.
- Substantial experience in the Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation industry.
- Experience, knowledge and expertise in the Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation area to carry out the duties of program development, administration and review.
- Highly developed communication skills, including a strong negotiating ability.
- Excellent organisational, administrative and interpersonal skills.
- Well developed capacity for mature judgement, taking initiative and resolving conflict situations.
- Sound understanding of teaching strategies and learning materials development.
- Detailed and extensive knowledge of at least one teaching area within the Sport, Fitness & Outdoor Recreation department.
- Educational leadership skills to promote teaching and program design.
- Demonstrated capacity to plan, coordinate and manage teaching programs.
- Ability to implement systems and procedures which comply with a Management system.
Key Selection Criteria / 1.Demonstrated capacity to plan, coordinate and manage teaching programs.
2.Educational leadership skills to promote teaching and program design.
3.Excellent organisational, administrative and interpersonal skills.
4.An understanding of resource management issues.
5.Ability to implement systems and procedures which comply with a Management system.
6.Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and work in a team environment.
- The Incumbent may be required to perform his/her duties at any campus or location controlled by the Board or elsewhere as directed.