JOB TITLE:Visitor Experience Manager
REPORTS TO:Director of Business & Operations
RESPONSIBLE FOR:Visitor Experience Supervisors (x2)
Visitor Experience Assistants
Gallery Hosts (volunteer team)
DATE PREPARED:November 2017
1. JOB PURPOSE
The Visitor Experience Manager (VEM) will champion the experience of every visitor making THW a ‘must-see’ attraction, acclaimed nationally and loved locally.
The VEM will work with colleagues to shape and manage the visitor experience and to drive and deliver excellence in customer service via the visitor experience team so that visitors get the most out of their visit and are inspired to return. The VEM will also play a key role in promoting THW membership and developing long term support amongst our visitors.
The VEMwill be responsible for all front of house operations including security, safety and access and will act as a Duty Manager. The VEM will ensure that opening and closing procedures are adhered to and that there is adequate staffing cover in the gallery at all times.
2.KEY RESULT AREAS
- Ensure that the visitor experience team provides an excellent visitor experience at all times helping visitors to get the most out of their visit and giving them reasons to return.
- Ensure that the visitor experience team works efficiently and effectively within the galleries to ensure public safety, security of collections and smooth visitor flow. Ensure that all public spaces are presented to the highest possible standards at all times.
- Actively promote THW membership, setting clear targets for the visitor experience team and ensuring that they receive appropriate training.
- Actively encourage donations from visitors.
- Actively drive sales activity by promoting and selling souvenir guides, event and tour tickets and retail products to enhance the visitor experience.
- Have full and up to date knowledge of all exhibitions and events and ensure that this information is communicated to the visitor experience team.
- Ensure professional delivery of the guided tour programme.
- Manage day to day operation of the car park system including cash handling, monitoring compliance and reporting faults.
- Collate and monitor visitor feedback, identifying and reporting on trends.
- Plan, monitor and deliver against all delegated budgets and financial targets.
- Represent the visitor experience team at cross departmental meetings and other planning meetings as appropriate.
- Ensure that general enquiries, event and group bookings, and complaints are dealt with professionally and efficiently.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Inspire and motivate the visitor experience team to ensure that excellent customer service standards are delivered at all times and all operational requirements are met.
- Recruit and develop enthusiastic and committed staff and volunteers in order to achieve team objectives and communicate key messages to visitors.
- Develop and deliver a training programme for visitor experience staff and volunteers encompassing customer service, gallery knowledge, THW membership, health and safety, and security.
- Lead the Gallery Hosts team and ensure that volunteering standards are met. Ensure that the contribution that the volunteers make is recognised and they have a rewarding experience.
- Ensure effective communication across the visitor experience team through daily briefings, regular team meetings, training days and other forms of communication.
- Produce staff and volunteer rotas as required ensuring staffing levels meet operational and budgetary requirements.
- Undertake administration for the team including timesheet management.
HEALTH AND SAFETY/SECURITY
- Act as Duty Manager. Coordinate the Duty Manager rota and ensure adequate cover at all times. With the Estates Manager, monitor security needs and liaise with the security contractor.
- Act as out of hours call-out on a rota system (generally one week in four) and be a key holder.
- Ensure that health and safety procedures are adhered to at all times. Be pro-active in dealing with issues as they arise or reporting concerns immediately to the relevant person.
- Take a lead role in and coordinate any emergency evacuations as required following emergency procedures, ensuring the safety of all visitors at all times.
- Be a designated first aider undertaking additional training as required.
- Have high standards of personal presentation, wearing visitor experience team branded clothing and name badge during operational hours.
2.Undertake any other duties as reasonably required by the Director of Business & Operations.
The post holder will act as a Duty Manager ensuring that there is a consistent supervisory presence in place during operating hours and this will require weekend and evening working. In addition you may be required to work at events, private views and hire events with occasional unsociable working hours agreed in advance.
Performing duty management can be a physically demanding task that requires regular bending, lifting and generally being mobile between gallery floors and buildings.
This role has shared accountability for budgets that include visitor experience operational costs, salaries, and volunteer spending.
4.EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREDEXPERIENCE / ESSENTIAL / DESIRABLE
Significant management experience in the arts, museum or heritage sector /
Working in a busy (200K plus) visitor focused environment /
Demonstrable passion for delivering a great visitor experience /
Proven experience of generating sales e.g. membership, guidebooks /
Financial management including cash handling and budget management /
Volunteer management /
Leading tours and/or giving talks /
Implementing security procedures /
Well-developed management and leadership skills /
Organisational and coordinating skills /
Influencing and negotiation skills /
Excellent written and verbal communication skills /
Highly numerate with excellent IT skills; able to use Microsoft Office software (particularly Excel) with confidence and accuracy /
Hard working, committed and friendly team player /
Able to work well under pressure /
Working knowledge of relevant legislation including health and safety, disability discrimination and equal opportunities /
Interest in and knowledge of the visual arts and understanding of the aims and objectives of The Hepworth Wakefield /
5. BASIC TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This is a full time position of 37 hours per week, 5 days over 7 with regular weekend and evening working.
- There may be an occasional requirement for additional hours for which time off in lieu may be requested.
- 25 days paid leave per annum increasing a day a year to a maximum of 28 days. The leave year runs from 1 March to 31 April.
- New employees will be auto-erolled into a pension scheme.
- Probationary period of 6 months.
- Notice period 1 week during the probationary period.
- The place of work is The Hepworth Wakefield, Gallery Walk, Wakefield, WF1 5AW.
- THW offers an Employee Assistance Programme and discounts in the shop and café.
- Group Pension Plan run by Royal London, including an employer contribution of up to 6%