Townsville Airport Pty Ltd
Position:Workplace Health and Safety Officer
Reports to:Aviation Manager
Status:Permanent Full Time(76 Hour Fortnight)
Purpose of the role:
Develop, implement and maintain Townsville Airport Pty Ltd Workplace Health and Safety management system and to provide technical and field support relating to WH&S issues
Key Result Areas:
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Administration/Record Keeping
Staffing responsibility:Reports to Aviation Manager
Internal:Management and staff at all levels
External:Government Agencies, Emergency Services and Airport Tenants
Duties and Responsibilities
Workplace Health and Safety
- Develop, implement and maintain WH&S management system, policies and procedures for the Regional Airports Group
- Coordinate incident reporting and is aware of the responsibilities and obligations in reporting incidents.
- Assist managers in understanding and carrying out their role of ensuring that the employer’s duty of care under QLD legislation is met
- Assist in the development of site specific Safe Work Method statements where required
- Assist managers and staff in hazard identification, assessment and control in implementing safe systems of work.
- Encourage environment, health and safety awareness across the site
- Ensure all relevant WH&S legislation, policies and procedures are adhered to across the regional airports group
- Ensure WH&S related aspects of the terminal building and grounds are identified and a safe environment exists for staff, customers and tenants
- Develop and prepare reports in relation to WH&S activities and performance
- Conduct investigations/audits to identify WH&S issues, report using appropriate procedures and follow up/implement corrective actions to achieve satisfactory outcomes.
- Fulfil the requirements of the company appointed WH&S Officer as per the WH&S act or equivalent in force.
- Involvement and support of quarterly WH&S committee meetings.
- Maintain risk management system software in relation to WH&S aspects.
- Ensure site chemical register and Manifest is up to date and develop and implement a chemical procurement policy
- Liaise with relevant staff in the co-ordination of emergency response procedures and training for the Regional Airports Group
- Initiate and supervise WH&S related projects and consultants as advised.
- Provide quality internal and external customer service.
- Ensure effective implementation of all QAL policies and procedures relating to WH&S.
- Participate and contribute as part of the QAL WHS Working Group
- Structure and maintain online file management systems and Intranet sites
- Maintain records in accordance the Airports records keeping system.
- Prepare WHS reportsas required
- Co-ordinate staff training requirements as required
- Undertake role specific training as required or instructed
- Assist withsite inductions.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
- Experience within the Aviation Industry or Industrial industry regarding Workplace health and safety
- Knowledge of or the ability to rapidly acquire knowledge of Workplace Health and Safety legislation and relevant Australian Standards and Codes of Practice
- Report writing experience;
- Ability to train and direct small groups.
- Current QLD Workplace Health and Safety Qualification (desirable), similar qualifications from other states will be considered
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (desirable)
Skills and competencies
- Able to meet prerequisites for obtaining appropriate level of aviation security clearance;
- Undergo and pass a Police Records Check
- Sound organisational, time, task, planning and priority management;
- An ability to work independently with minimal direction;
- Good written and verbal skills (eg reports, briefing papers, training);
- Good computer literacy (Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat);
- Sound problem solving and decision making skills; and
- Good personal presentation.
Responsibility and accountability – Responsible and accountable for own and direct staff practices and standards of work and able to work with minimal supervision.
Achievement orientation – Committed to achieving company, team and personal objectives.
Analytical and lateral thinking – Able to see patterns in situations, assess problems, process, practices and report findings to Environment Manager.
Flexibility – Able to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations and understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives, a supporter of change.
Communication – Understand and respond appropriately in a constructive and professional manner and provide effective and constructive feedback.
Teamwork – Encourage and participate in a positive teamwork environment.
Developing self and others – Willing to participate in training and development.
Integrity – Respectful, courteous and cooperative relationships established and maintained with all staff, stakeholders and internal and external customers.
Confidentiality – Confidentiality of information maintained regarding QAL and staff.
Stress resistance – Perform consistently during peak times and when under pressure.
Professional management – Professionally manage oneself and be accountable for the professional application of duties and when on or off-site.
PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENTKRAs / Measurement method
1. Workplace Health and Safety /
- Yearly Audits completed
- Chemical register up to date
- All public incidents reported to Proclaim
- WHS Management System and policies developed, implemented and maintained
- WHS compliance requirements implemented and adhered to
- Legislative Requirements of the company appointed WHSO fulfilled
- Actively contribute to the WHS committee
- Incident reporting and investigation completed in a timely manner
- Work tasks and performance consistent with QAL WHS policy and procedures
2. Administration / Record Keeping /
- WHS incident reporting filed correctly
- Reports and relevant information stored in Sharepoint
- Databases complete and up to date
3. Training /
- Key training requirements identified within first 12 months
TIME ALLOCATIONKey Result Areas / %
1. Workplace Health and Safety / 70
2. Administration / Record Keeping / 20
3. Training / 10
I acknowledge that I have read and understood the key result areas described in this Position Description and agree to carry out my duties and responsibilities to the best of my ability. I also understand that at times I may be required to undertake other duties relevant to the position that are not listed in this statement. I acknowledge my employer’s right to alter this Position Description from time to time in consultation with myself.
Signed: ………………………………………………Date: ….../..…./…...
Workplace Health and Safety Officer Townsville Airport Pty Ltd 1 of 4
Review date: 21March 2011