EDAX Genesis Operating Procedure
- Focus the SEM to a working distance between 12-12.5 mm.
- Set up scope for “Analysis” operating mode in the “Column” setup menu.
- Start with Condenser Lens1 at 5, in the “Column” set up menu, go to a smaller number if the counts per second on the EDS system are too low.
- Find area of interest in Low Mag mode. Use arrows, mouse or the track ball to move the stage. Then go to High Mag mode in the SEM (EDS cannot be done in Low Mag mode or with the chamber scope on).
- Turn on the “Analysis” menu, toselect mode of analysis, normal, line, spot or reduced area.
- Open the EDAX Genesis icon on the desktop of the EDS computer.
- Select Spectrum tab at the top left of the data window and make sure the SPECTRUM BUTTONis selected .
- 1 Amp time, set at Auto and it will automatically set the correct amp time.
2 Set a Preset collection time, if desired. This will stop the spectrum collection automatically
3 Start and stop spectrum collection using the “Collect” button. If a preset has been selected, start the collection using the “Collect” button and it will stop automatically.
4 Adjust the view of the spectrum by placing the Black Cursoron the area of interest by clicking with the mouse, and then use the “expand” and “contract” keys. The spectrum display can also be adjusted by clicking and dragging with the mouse.
5 Click the “Peak Id” button for automatic peak identification.
6 The “HPD” is used for peak identification confirmation. When the HPD button is clicked, a theoretical spectrum is drawn on the collected spectrum based on the identified peaks and the collection parameters. If the light blue line follows across the top of the spectrum and all the peaks are identified correctly then go to “Quantify”.
7 Type in a spectrum label with up to 216 characters. The label will be saved and printed with the spectrum.
8 For standardless quantification results, click the “Quantify” button. The results will use an automatic background subtraction and will be normalized to 100 percent. If doing a series of samples you may want to use the Multiple Function and store several sets of data before saving and or printing.To save the quantification data you click “Save” in the Quantify View and it will be saved as a .CSV file and can be opened in Microsoft Excel.
9 To quantify for oxides , right click on the word Type and select Type and then select Oxides.
10The spectrum and quantification results can be printed on one page by clicking on the Print Buttonavailable in the results dialogue box.
11 The spectrum can be saved by clicking on the Saved Buttonand selecting a file name (.spc as the extension) and location.
- Repeat from 3for multiple samples.
- If you want to save the spectrum as an image, click “save as” and change the file extension to a .bmp, .tiff or .jpg.
March 25, 2010