December 2015 Activities for Sunset High School
Here are the December 2015 (and a few early January 2016) activities at Sunset High School.
This information can also be found on the Sunset High School website ( the “School Highlights” section on the main page and in the attached PDF document.
- Apollos Unplugged and Pizza for Charity – 12/11 at 7:00 p.m. See Sunset’s talented musicians present “Jingle Bell Rock” in the commons at this student-run event. The doors will open at 6:30 p.m. and admission is $4.00. If you bring a can of food or a pair of socks to donate, admission is only $3.00. Plus, National Honor Society will be selling pizza as a fundraiser for charity. This is always a great show!
- Winter Choir Concert – 12/15 at 7:00 p.m. The concert is free and open to the Sunset community and general public but donations are welcome to help fund a trip to New York in the spring.
- Band Holiday Concert – 12/17 at 7:00 p.m. This is a free concert and another way to celebrate the season.
- Winter Sporting Events. Basketball, swimming and wrestling seasons are beginning and varsity home games are listed below. Come cheer on the Apollos! Or help with concessions – on-line sign-ups provided below. Season results and upcoming meets/games for all teams can be found here:
- Western Oregon University at Sunset – 12/7 and 12/10. WOU will conduct an application workshop on Monday 12/7 at 1:30 p.m. in the Weswig Lab. WOU will also offer on-site admissions on Thursday, 12/10. Make your appointment in the College & Career Center.
- Future Connect, a PCC Scholarship Workshop – 12/11. PCC will be at Sunset on Friday, 12/11 from 1:00 to 2:00 pm. Representatives will be on hand to walk students through the application process. For scholarship details, look here:
- Get your Grad Party ticket! The buseshave been booked for what will be a fun and inclusive party. Purchasing your ticket now ensures that there will be a seat on the bus for your graduate. Plus all ticketholders are automatically a part of all future ticket purchase incentives – including the next one in February. Grad party tickets are now $80 and scholarships are available through your student’s counselor. The ticket order form and waivers can be found here:
- Graduation requirement reminder -- CIS work due by 1/15/16. If your senior wants the chance to have 8th period free second semester, and have one more item off the list for graduation, they need to complete the Senior CIS assignment by the end of the first semester at the latest. Maybe a great project to complete over winter break? The assignment can be found here: This assignment should take no more than two hours and is part of the Career Education curriculum required for graduation. Students should contact Mrs. Lucas in the College & Career Center with any questions.
For all Apollos:
- Sunset’s Winter Charity Drive – 12/1 through 12/16. Students are invited to donate socks and canned goods in their 3rd period class and support Sunset’s annual charity drive. During the week of 12/7, students are encouraged to bring in spare change and it will be collected and donated to families in need. Plus, encourage your student to look for “giving snowflakes” that will be hanging in the commons. These will have gift wishes on them from students at William Walker Elementary School. Students are encouraged to take one and bring the gift back to classroom M1 (Leadership room) by 12/14. Learn more about these and other events by following @shsupdates on Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Last day to purchase your 2015-2016 yearbook for $60 is Friday, 12/18.In January, the price goes up to $70. Last year, all of the extra yearbooks that were purchased were sold out. Ordering now is the only way to ensure that you’ll get a yearbook in the spring. The books can be purchased in the Business Office, or online through the Apollo Webstore at:
- Winter Sports Concession Help Needed! The PTO is trying to open the indoor Concession Stand for freshman, JV, and varsity winter sports to serve our community and fans.And they need your help! Sign-up links provided below.
- Girls basketball:
- Boys basketball:
- Staff Appreciation Holiday Event – 12/11. The PTO is currently seeking gift donations to be a part of a holiday drawing for staff members. For a bit more information, and to sign up to help, go here:
- Sunset merchandise makes a great holiday gift! Opportunities to purchase anything from sweatshirts to scarves to long-sleeve t-shirts will be available at the following events: Winter Choir Concert, December 15th, 7:00 pm in the Auditorium lobby; Cedar Park Choir Concert, December 16th at 7:00 pm, in the Auditorium lobby; and the Winter Band Concert on December 17th at 7:00 pm in the Auditorium lobby. Shop, and then stay for the entertainment!
- Winter break reading assignment and discussion day for parents on understanding the college search. The College & Career Center is inviting parents to read the bookWhere You Go Is Not Who You'll Be,An Antidote to the College Admissions Maniaby Frank Bruni. The CCC will then host a guided book discussion on 1/20 from 7:00 to 8:30p.m. All parents are invited to join us. Look here for a New York Times article on the book:
- Sunset Walking Tours for Incoming Students – 1/7 at 4:00 p.m. Prospective families are invited to tour the campus with an administrator. All tours meet in the Main Office, and upcoming dates include 1/7 at 4:00 p.m., 1/14 at 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., 2/25 at 4:00 p.m., 2/25 at 4:00 p.m., and 3/10 at 4:00 pm. No registration is required.
- Support Sunset when you shop at Amazon. You can support Sunset HS every time you shop at Amazon. Simply access Amazon through choose SHS up as your charitable organization, and when you purchase items, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to Sunset High School PTO. Your Amazon shopping experience will be exactly the same and the SHS PTO will earn money to continue to help the school. Bookmark the link and support SHS every time you shop.
- Partial and Full-day Absences Reminder: The procedures are different for partial and full-day absences. Your cooperation really helps the attendance office efficiently keep track of students. If your student will be gone for part of the school day (either arriving late or departing early for an excused absence), do not call the school. Your student must bring a written note to the attendance office. If your student will miss the entire day of school, call the 24-hour attendance hotline directly at 503 259-5095 by 2:30 p.m. and follow the instructions. For complete details on Sunset’s attendance procedures, look here:
- The Counseling office is here to help:
1) Any student who is in need of financial support to take the SAT or ACT should see their counselorfor information about fee waiver support.
2) Studentsin need of scholarship support for formal dances (Bali, Prom) are encouraged to talk to their counselor about scholarships.
3) As the weather gets colder and school vacations approach, please know that there is community resource informationavailable in the counseling office.
Sunset High School On-line and Social Media Links:
Sunset High School: and @Sunset_Apollos on Twitter
Look here for a copy of the weekly student announcements; a link to The Scroll, Sunset’s on-line student newspaper; links to Sunset’s College & Career Center and IB program information; staff list; activity calendar, and many other school-related items.
Sunset HS PTO: and “Sunset High School PTO” on Facebook
Look here for the latest from Sunset’s Parent Teacher Organization including updates on volunteering at school events, donating to Sunset HS programs, and links to the Grad Party website and Sunset Gear webstore.
December 2015 (and a few early January) Events and Activities Calendar:
12/7 – Monday
- Charity Spirit Week begins
- WOU Application Workshop in Weswig Lab – 1:30 p.m.
12/8 – Tuesday
- Men’s Basketball vs. Forest Grove – 7:15 p.m.
12/9 -- Wednesday
- Latino Parent Night -- 6:30 p.m.
12/10 – Thursday
- WOU “Instant Wolf” On-site Admissions (by appointment; sign up in the CCC)
- Swimming vs. Jesuit – 4:00 p.m.
12/11 – Friday
- Staff Appreciation Holiday Event – 7:00 a.m. (see info above for how you can help!)
- Apollos Unplugged – 7:00 p.m.
- Winter Charity Drive “Giving Snowflake” gift donations due to M1
- SHS Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) Meeting – 7:00 p.m.
12/15 -- Tuesday
- Choir Concert – 7:00 p.m.
- Women’s Basketball vs. David Douglas – 7:15 p.m.
12/17 -- Thursday
- Swimming vs. Southridge – 4:00 p.m.
- Band Concert – 7:00 p.m.
- Women’s Basketball vs. Central Catholic – 7:15 p.m.
12/18 -- Friday
- Last day to pre-order a yearbook for $60
- Men’s Basketball vs. David Douglas – 7:15 p.m.
12/21 through 1/1/2016
- NO SCHOOL – Winter Break
1/5 -- Tuesday
- Men’s Basketball vs. Canby – 7:15 p.m.
1/7 – Thursday
- Wrestling vs. Southridge – 7:00 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball vs. Jesuit – 7:15 p.m.
- Sporting events listed here are varsity home meets/games. For a complete list of all school meets/games, including freshman/JV and “away” events, go to Only sports sanctioned by the OSAA are included on the Metro League site.
- Activities/events listed here take place at Sunset HS unless noted otherwise. When you arrive, look for signs indicating the meeting room.
- Dates/times can change due to weather and unforeseen circumstances.
For more information, follow the links provided, look on the Sunset High School website or call the school at 503 259-5050.