Caring for Device
Lesson 1: The Three Cs (Care, Carry, Charge)
Grade Level / Topic(s) / Timeframe
- Caring for device
- Carrying the device
- Charging the device
Objective(s): Students will be able to explain and demonstrate how to properly charge, carry and care for their device.
Procedure / Teacher Notes
First C- Charge
- Review the objective with students to set expectations for learning. Students can read the “I Can” statements.
- Point out location of device cart in classroom and explain that every child will be getting their own device to use during the school day.
- Introduce the first C- charging their device and explain they will be watching a short video clip modeling the correct way to charge their device.
- Play video.
- Have a student volunteer model the correct way to retrieve their device from the cart and charge it.
- Next explain that there is a proper way to carry their device. Ask for student ideas on proper/improper ways to carry their device.
- Explain that students will be watching another video clip modeling the correct way to carry their device. Remind students that someone will be asked to model after the video.
- Play video.
- Have a student model the correct way to unplug their device and carry it to their seat.
- Next have everyone get their device properly put keep them closed at their desk.
- Tell students that they will be logging into their devices using their username and password.
- Explain that students will be watching a video clip modeling the correct way to open and login to their device. Remind students that someone will be asked to model after the video.
- Play video.
- Hand out usernames and passwords (if not already distributed).
- Have a student model the correct way to open and log in to their device. Ask them to think aloud as they do.
- Ask all students to open their device and log on. Monitor student progress as necessary.
- As students are successful at logging in have them click on the Microsoft Word icon.
- Tell students they will be practicing typing their username and password again.
- Walk through the steps to activate Microsoft Office. You may need to help students to add the @bcps.org after they type their username.
- After Office has been activated have students type a list of things they should do/not do to care for their device.
- After a few minutes of working have students share their ideas aloud.
- Display the full list of ways to care for your device for students. This may be an opportunity to create a class anchor chart.
- Have students note the last item on the list which is shut down. Explain that we they be shutting down their device in order to keep it from overheating and to conserve the battery.
- Explain that we will be watching a screencast showing us how to shutdown our device. After the video all students should shutdown.
- As students are successful in shutting down their device have a student model what they have learned so about caring for their device by carefully carrying it to the cart and charging it.
Be sure to have copies of usernames and passwords in case students do not remember from the previous year. Reminder 5th graders will have a new password.
Teachers can decide if you want students to save their work or just close Word without saving.
These rules are just suggestions. Feel free to personalize for your class.